European space standardisation event: ‘Doing business with ECSS’
On 5 and 6 April 2006, policy makers and users in the European Cooperation for Space Standardization (ECSS) community will meet at ESTEC, in Noordwijk (The Netherlands) to discuss the application and future direction of ECSS.
ECSS is an initiative established in 1993 to develop a single, coherent set of standards in the domains of space management, space product assurance and space engineering for use in all European space activities. The standards are developed through a voluntary partnership of ESA, National Space Agencies and European Industries, based on the expertise existing in each of these organisations.
ECSS members are:
- Agenzia Spaziale Italiana (ASI – Italian Space Agency)
- Federaal Wetenschapsbeleid / Politique scientifique fédérale (Belgian Federal Science Policy Office, formerly OSTC)
- British National Space Centre (BNSC)
- Centre National d’ Etudes Spatiales (CNES – French National Space Centre)
- Canadian Space Agency (CSA)
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR – German Centre for Aviation and Spaceflight)
- European Space Agency (ESA)
- Nederlands Instituut voor Vliegtuigontwikkeling en Ruimtevaart (NIVR - Netherlands Agency for Aerospace Programmes)
- Norsk Romsenter (Norwegian Space Centre)
Transition to full implementation
The ECSS standard system has now achieved recognition worldwide and reached a sufficient level of completeness and maturity to allow the transition from development to full implementation. Space agencies in Europe are committed to its application, and strong interest has been shown by agencies elsewhere in the world. A number of European companies support its application in all new projects, and the user base is growing rapidly.
In view of the implications of the transition to full implementation for the daily business of all involved in the European space sector, the ECSS Steering Board is organising a dialogue among all parties concerned in order to:
- provide an opportunity for the sharing of ECSS user experiences
- identify areas where the use of ECSS can be improved
- promote ECSS by establishing a culture of trust and cooperation
- consolidate ECSS policy and implementation
- shape the future direction and application of ECSS
The Director General of ESA, Mr Jean-Jacques Dordain, will open the proceedings on the first day, which is dedicated to key note speeches and a discussion on ECSS, from both an institutional and a commercial point of view. The activities on the second day will be introduced by Mr Michel Courtois, ESA’s Director of Technical and Quality Management. After the introductory session, splinter sessions, plenary discussions and a round table with senior representatives from industry and space agencies will complete the agenda for day two.
On behalf of ECSS, ESA’s Director General has extended an invitation to everyone involved in the European space sector to participate in the event. His invitation, the programme, the electronic registration form and a questionnaire to be returned by mid March can be found at the ECSS event site (see right hand menu). Enrolment is due by mid-March 2006, but early registration is recommended.
For additional information, contact:
P.O. Box 299
2200 AG Noordwijk
phone: +31 71 565 5748
fax: +31 71 565 6839