Space Intelligence, Engineering and Quality Network
SineQuaNet is an expert network whose prime objective is to provide technical and engineering support to small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in ESA Member States, Cooperation Agreement, and Cooperating States, who already are operating in, or are looking to enter, the space sector.
The aims of the network have been to elaborate the key success factors for organising, structuring and improving SMEs' access to technical facilities, expert support and training services. Although a number of such services are already available within the space sector from large organisations, systems integrators, and research institutes, it has been observed that a wide range of SMEs remain impeded from access to resources of this kind.
As a result of SineQuaNet, a database of sources of expertise and technical facilities has been compiled. The ultimate aim of such a database is to encourage relevant entities - whether SMEs, large groups, universities or laboratories - to offer the services of their own experts, or the use of technical facilities and laboratories, on a fair compensation basis. Benefits for the service providers are a more profitable use of their experts, as well as a better return on investment in their facilities.
Activities and actions undertaken to date by SineQuaNet are:
- establishing the needs of SMEs for hands-on expertise, training and access to facilities for testing and calibration of new technologies and systems
- testing the SineQuaNet concept by providing actual support to a selection of SMEs
- creating a database containing sources of expertise and suppliers of facilities and services
- holding a series of workshop meetings at various locations throughout Europe, where SMEs and other industrial partners have been able to meet to exchange views and refine the objectives of SineQuaNet
- creating a dedicated website as a communication and information tool for SMEs within the space sector. The website was launched in December 2006, at http://www.esa.int/sme
SineQuaNet (Space INtelligence, Engineering & QUAlity NETwork) activities are managed by ESA’s SME Office, and have been supported jointly by the European Commission’s 6th Framework Programme, Economic & Technology Intelligence action.
For further information on SineQuaNet, please contact: