Internship at the EAC Communication Office
ESA's European Astronaut Centre (EAC) Communications team is looking for a dynamic intern to help meet the challenges of human and robotic space exploration. This full-time six month internship is based at EAC, near the historic city of Cologne, Germany.
The Communications team at ESA's European Astronaut Centre promotes Human and Robotic Exploration of Space by a multitude of platforms, ranging from digital, social and traditional media to events. It furthermore coordinates all public outreach activities regarding ESA astronauts and their missions.
The EAC Communication Office offers a limited number of internship opportunities each year and is in particular looking for a student with excellent skills and a strong background in
- writing, editing and production for the web and social media
- science and/or tech journalism
- public and media relations
- PR event management
- community management
The intern will report to the EAC Communication Officer and support the PR & Communications team at the European Astronaut Centre ESA/EAC, located in Cologne, Germany.
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with social media and web content management software (in particular eZ Publish, Wordpress Multisite, Falcon.io
- Good knowledge of producing, managing and exploiting major social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Youtube: Writing, Editing, Production, Management, Metrics etc.
- Experience with using social media in a professional setting
- Excellent communication skills
- Business proficient English and German (speaking and writing, one of them as mother tongue), knowledge of another ESA member state language is an asset
- Experience with ad-hoc translations
- Passion for Human Spaceflight, Robotic Exploration and Space Science
We are looking for dynamic people who can work independently to help us meet the challenges of human and robotic space exploration. You will be encouraged to show initiative, take on new challenges and learn new skills. In return, you will have access to EAC facilities and be working in a stimulating, multi-national environment that is unique within Europe and close to the historic and vibrant city of Cologne along the famous River Rhine.
Applicants must be a national of an ESA Member State or one of its Cooperating/Associate Member States:
ESA Member States are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
Cooperating and Associate Member States are: Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Slovakia and Slovenia.
Studying in an ESA member state does unfortunately not contribute to your eligibility for an ESA traineeship.
Candidates must have student status and be enrolled at university for the entire duration of the internship. Applicants should be in the final year of their Bachelor’s degree or studying for a Master's degree.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
ESA internships are full time (40 hours/week spread across five working days).
The maximum and ideal duration of an ESA internship is six months For details, please refer to the information provided below on your area of interest.
Our internships are unpaid, however, a monthly allowance is provided:
- €600 if you are living more than 50km away from the EAC
- €300 if you are living less than 50 km away from the EAC.
- The non-resident allowance will also be granted to students with special needs, irrespective of their residency status.
- Interns are required to provide for their own health and accident insurance.
- Interns have to cover their own travel expenses and are responsible for finding their own accommodation in Cologne or other areas convenient for the EAC.
The closing date for this internship is Monday 16 May 2018.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to apply, please provide to us in English:
- A one-page motivational letter
- Your Curriculum Vitae
- The completed ESA internship application form, which can be downloaded here.
- Please email your application stating 'EAC Communications internship' in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not forget to attach all necessary documents as outlined above.
EAC Internship opportunities are offered in a number of areas. For further information on application procedures, internship periods and contact email addresses, please refer to Internship Opportunities at EAC.
We will only consider applications that are complete, so please make sure to send us all three documents in your application email!