Media internships at the European Astronaut Centre
The European Astronaut Centre (EAC) is looking for dynamic interns to develop and design video and multimedia material.
ASTRONAUT TRAINING AT THE EAC
The EAC is the home base of Europe’s astronauts. The Astronaut Training Division is responsible for developing and implementing ESA astronaut training programmes. As part of their preparation for missions to the ISS all astronauts from ESA and its International Partners (NASA, Roscosmos, JAXA, CSA) receive training at EAC for the Columbus European research laboratory. In addition, the EAC provides training for certain special skills such as Robotics, Extra-Vehicular Activities (EVA) and Human Behaviour and Performance (HBP).
Your tasks as an intern will be diverse but centred around the production of innovative training materials and other multimedia content.
For example, one important task is helping to create training videos for astronauts. You will be involved throughout the production process; helping to write storyboards, planning and shooting the footage (for example, you might be interviewing an astronaut or creating an animation), as well as editing the final video. Solid skills in multimedia development, both 2D and 3D, and/or design will see you being kept busy on a range of varied and novel activities. You will be working as part of a multidisciplinary and multinational team.
MAIN WORK RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recording and editing videos for training and other purposes (for example: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbyvawxScNbsoD_tGlw8kWCw3S5htiVKZ)
- Development of multimedia content as required, using a variety of tools and software
- Assisting in the creative and design process by suggesting innovative ways to illustrate complex technical concepts
- Supporting the EAC Training Division Team as required
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- You should be from either a multimedia/graphic design background or an aerospace engineering or scientific field of studies but have good video/multimedia skills
- Experience with video and/or audio recording
- Experience creating 2D/3D graphics and animation using software such as: Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Captivate, InDesign, Illustrator etc.
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Fluent English (minimum CEFRA C1)
- A passion for human spaceflight and modern communication technology would be beneficial but most important are enthusiasm, curiosity and resourcefulness.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Full time internship 5 days per week
- Based at the European Astronaut Centre near Cologne-Bonn airport
- A monthly allowance is payable:
- €600 (if currently living more than 50 km from EAC)
- €300 (if less than 50 km)
- Maximum duration of the internship is 6 months (minimum 4 months)
- Start date: Flexible, from January 2018 onwards.
- You must be a citizen of an ESA member or cooperating state in order to be eligible (http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Welcome_to_ESA/New_Member_States)
- Applicants must be enrolled at a university or college
We are looking for creative people who can work independently. You will be encouraged to show initiative, take on new challenges, learn new skills. In return you will have access to EAC facilities and be working in a stimulating environment that is unique within Europe. The vibrant, cultural city of Cologne and famous River Rhine are just nearby.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested? If so, send your CV, motivation letter, and the ESA application form (select 'Application Form' on: http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Careers_at_ESA/Student_placements2) to: Matt Day (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications are being accepted on an ongoing basis.