ESA offers students a wide range of student internship options. Applicants should preferably be in their last or penultimate year of a
Master's degree. Many students take the opportunity of a student internship at ESA to prepare their thesis. In general, technical opportunities are available at ESTEC, ESOC, ESAC, ECSAT, ESRIN, EAC and Redu. There are also a limited number of non-technical opportunities.
If you are interested in a student internship, please complete the online application form, and send it via e-mail to any of ESA's main Establishments listed below. You should include your CV and a covering letter explaining why you would like to work at ESA and a student's enrolment certificate.
A hot tip!
As each of the ESA sites offers student internships, you should make sure that you select a specific area of interest when you apply. To help identify these, it might help to look through the list of ESA's research and project fields listed below, and to check our establishments' websites on www.esa.int.
Where to send your application
- ESOC European Space Operations Centre, Darmstadt and Redu. Please submit your application to Students4ESOC@esa.int between 1 September 2016 and 31 October 2016 for a student internship in 2017. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
- EAC European Astronaut Centre. Please send your application to the ESOC email address: Students4ESOC@esa.int
- ESTEC European Space Research and Technology Centre. Please submit your application to Students4ESTEC@esa.int between 1 September 2016 and 31 October 2016 for a student internship in 2017. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
- ESRIN ESA's centre for Earth observation in Frascati, Italy. Please submit your application to Students4ESRIN@esa.int between 1 September 2016 and 31 October 2016 for a student internship in 2017. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
- ESAC Special deadlines apply for the European Space Astronomy Centre in Villanueva de la Cañada, Madrid, Spain, so please check here before applying.
- ESA Headquarters Students4HQ@esa.int.
ESTEC, ESRIN and ESOC:
Candidates are selected by the relevant department. ESTEC, ESRIN or ESOC will contact the selected candidates to offer them a student placement within four months after the closing date for applications. The starting date is made by mutual agreement and can be anytime within the following year.
ESAC and HQ:
Your application will be examined by the relevant department. If successful, and we are able to offer you an internship, you will be contacted by us. Should you not hear anything further from us within three months with regard to your application, then you must assume that we were unable to find a suitable internship for you.
Candidates must be a citizen of one of the ESA Members States or from one of the European Cooperating States.
Terms and conditions
- Student internships last from three to six months, preference being given to longer internships.
- Students are normally given one internship during their studies, however this can be split into two parts provided that the total duration does not exceed six months.
- Internships are unpaid, however a monthly allowance is granted of €600 for non-residents and €300 for residents. A non-resident is defined as someone living more than 50 km from the establishment.
- Student interns have to provide their own health insurance, accident insurance and travel expenses.
- Student interns are responsible for finding their own accommodation. Students have the opportunity to apply for and to perform up to two work placements during their studies.
- Student interns must provide a university enrollment certificate and must be enrolled as a student throughout the entire duration of the student internship.
Fields of study
You can check out the full list of possible fields of study here.