What you need to know about the Network/Partnering Initiative
How to apply
- contact your professor on existing NPI co operations to accommodate your PhD project
- alternatively, contact our ESA NPI advisors Joerg Wehner (Space Segment related initiatives, Joerg.firstname.lastname@example.org) and Reinhold Bertrand (Ground Segment related initiatives Reinhold.Bertrand@esa.int)
- together with your professor and the respective ESA department, complete the online application form
- submit your application to our ESA NPI advisors
The selection of PhD proposals takes place twice a year through a selection board.
Accepted proposals are offered support in a number of ways:
- Co-funding – NPI co-funds research projects up to 50% or a total amount of max. €30,000 per year for doctorate degree investigations
- Access to the ESA laboratories - NPI participants can use ESA facilities for a minimum of six and a maximum of 12 months
- Technical support – NPI participants collaborate with ESA experts with whom they discuss proposal concepts and verify their potential for space applications
- Networking – NPI participants can search for industrial partners for further cooperation and can build 'innovation networks' through ESA links
A full list of NPI cooperation partners, universities and research institutions can be found under Related links.