What you need to know about the Research Fellowship
- Applications are accepted from nationals of ESA Member States and European Cooperating States, together with Canada which has a cooperation agreement with ESA (see links on the right for details).
- Applicants must have recently completed their PhD in a field closely connected to space activities.
- Candidates are selected on the basis of their application to a research fellow opportunity (see link on the right). These opportunities are published throughout the year.
- Applications should be sent via the ESA online application form available in the ‘how to apply’ section of the opportunity. A cover letter, CV and list of publications, with bibliographical references, should accompany the application, in one document (Word or PDF format). Each of the three referees named in the application form should send a reference letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No application sent after the closing date will be accepted.
- Applicants will receive an automatic acknowledgement of receipt once their application has been submitted.
- All applications received are evaluated and only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted again, within four to six weeks after the closing date.
- All candidates who attend an interview will be informed of its outcome, usually within six to eight weeks of the interview.
- The successful candidate will start the research fellowship on a date agreed with the recruiting manager, generally within six months of receipt of the offer of appointment.
Attractive terms and conditions
- Research fellowships are of a two-year duration with the possibility of renewal for a third year.
- The monthly remuneration (basic net salary or take-home pay) falls within a predetermined range and varies depending on the appointee’s qualifications and experience. The remuneration also depends on the location of the ESA establishment where the fellow is appointed and ranges from €2200 to €2600.
- Fellows may be entitled to an expatriation allowance and/or to an installation allowance on arrival if they meet the conditions of entitlement. Removal expenses are not reimbursed.
- Depending on their place of recruitment, fellows may be reimbursed travel expenses in economy class (when travelling by air) or in first class (when travelling by train) to their duty station for themselves and, if applicable, for their spouse/registered partner and children at the beginning and end of their assignment.
- 2.5 days paid leave per month.
- Health cover under ESA’s social security scheme.