What you need to know about the Research Fellowship
- Applications are accepted from nationals of ESA Member States and European Cooperating States, together with Canada which has a cooperation agreement with ESA (see links on the right for details).
- Applicants must have recently completed their PhD in a field closely connected to space activities.
- Candidates are selected on the basis of their application to a research fellow opportunity (see link on the right). These opportunities are published throughout the year.
- Applications should be sent via the ESA online application form available in the ‘how to apply’ section of the opportunity. A cover letter, CV and list of publications, with bibliographical references, should accompany the application, in one document (Word or PDF format). Each of the three referees named in the application form should send a reference letter to email@example.com. No application sent after the closing date will be accepted.
- Applicants will receive an automatic acknowledgement of receipt once their application has been submitted.
- All applications received are evaluated and only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted again, within four to six weeks after the closing date.
- All candidates who attend an interview will be informed of its outcome, usually within six to eight weeks of the interview.
- The successful candidate will start the research fellowship on a date agreed with the recruiting manager, generally within six months of receipt of the offer of appointment.
Attractive terms and conditions
Contracts are for two years. ESA will provide: as of January 2017, the remuneration (or 'take-home pay') for a single expatriate Research Fellow will range from €3,000 to €3,800 per month depending on the location of the ESA Establishment.