Young Lawyers' Symposium
The ECSL is inviting young scholars and professionals to take part in the third edition of the Young Lawyers' Symposium (YLS), which will be organised on the 24th of March 2018 at ESA HQ in Paris.
The aim of the YLS is to allow for early career scholars and professionals to present on a space law related topic in an international forum, exchange ideas and network amongst themselves.
The YLS 2018 will centre around three themed panels, which will consider legal aspect relating to:
- Space Debris
- Future Exploration (For example relating to the exploration of Mars, or the ISS as a legal model for future exploration)
- Reusable Launchers, Space Vehicles and On-orbit servicing
Young scholars and professionals (35 and under) are invited to submit a 500-word abstract on a topic relating to the theme of one of the three panels. Selections of speakers will be made on the basis of their submitted abstract. The Abstract should give an indication of what the speaker will address in a 15min presentation.
The abstract and registration form should be submitted through Indico by the 31th of January 2015.
Selected speaker will be notified by the 13th of February 2018, the complete program will be made available soon after.
All ECSL members are invited to attend the YLS, and can participate in the discussion between talks if they want to. Registration for the event is now open until the 09th of March 2018, you can register here: https://indico.esa.int/indico/event/227/
The event will also feature a career segment, which will aim to give participants an overview over professional and academic opportunities in the space sector.
- The Symposium is open to all lawyers - such as those in practice, academic researchers and students (including PhD) - who are aged 35 and under.
- A specialisation in space law is not a prerequisite.
- Speakers will be primarily solicited from those who work or study in, or are a national of, an ESA Member State, but may also include nationals of non-ESA Member States.
Procedure for Participation:
- Interested candidates are required to submit an abstract (max. 500 words) and specify which session they would wish to speak in. These abstracts will then be reviewed by the ECSL Organising Committee.
- Speakers selected to take part in the Symposium will have 15 minutes for their presentation. Each speaker must also provide an additional 3 talking points for the discussion related to their chosen subject.
- Selected speakers will be invited to submit a written report of their subject (10-12 pages) which will be published on the ECSL website. These speakers will also be offered assistance and guidance in the publication of their works in academic journals.
Please note that the ECSL will not provide any financial support for speakers to attend the event.
Last update: 4 December 2017