SME Initiative Launches ESA SME Database
Today sees the on-line launch by the SME Initiative of the ESA SME Database. This resource consists of information on European High Technology Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) working or being interested in space-related fields.
To compile this database, companies have been requested to complete a questionnaire giving their fields of expertise, and the necessary information to allow checking whether or not they fulfil the SME definition in force at ESA. The purpose of the database is to:
- Provide a source of SMEs from all member states with well defined competencies
- Improve our awareness of SMEs' expertise and optimise our use of these SMEs
- Facilitate partner search and cooperation between SMEs and other categories of firms
The ESA SME Database is now on-line, and is of interest to the general public as well as to Industry. It is meant as an interactive tool and provides for the following functions:
- Queries, statistics and graphical outputs on registered SMEs
- On-line registration of new companies subject to approval of an ESA administrator
- Update of own information by registered SMEs, using a password and login
At the time of launch, over 500 SMEs have been registered, comprising an even mix of well established space SMEs, of SMEs new to that sector, and of start-up SMEs.
It has to be pointed out that to be already registered as an ESA potential supplier fulfilling the SME criteria and having a bidder code does not grant you an automatic access to the ESA SME Database; likewise being registered within the present ESA SME Database does not grant you automatically an ESA bidder code. You need to be registered in both systems, and to provide the specific information needed for each of them.
SMEs already registered as ESA bidders and wishing to improve the visibility on their expertise are encouraged to click at the following link: ESA SME Database and to register their company.