Help wanted! ESA recruiting new European astronauts
As Europe's human spaceflight endeavours are entering a new era, the European Space Agency (ESA) is seeking new talent to bolster its astronaut corps for future missions to the International Space Station, the Moon and beyond.
Press conference London, Thursday 8 May
European astronauts are already working aboard the International Space Station (ISS), starting operations on the Columbus laboratory and benefiting from the new Automated Transport Vehicle (ATV) and the cargo that it carries. ESA is now looking toward further exploration of the solar system and a new generation of explorers is required to make this vision a reality.
To kick off the recruitment campaign in the UK, ESA will hold the following press conference:
Thursday 8 May, from 10:00-12:00
Exploring Space Gallery
Exhibition Road, South Kensington
London SW7 2DD
The following will be present:
- Alan Thirkettle, ESA's ISS programme manager
- Frank Danesy, ESA Human Resources, who oversees the ESA Selection Board
- Gerhard Thiele, Space Shuttle astronaut and now head of ESA's European Astronaut Corps
- Ulf Merbold, first ESA astronaut and three-time space flyer
- Several hopeful UK candidates
The Science Museum is home to more than 12 000 objects and provides a fascinating insight into the worlds of science, technology, medicine and industry. Hands-on galleries, drama characters and science shows bring to life the past, present and future of human scientific ingenuity.
10:00 - Preparing for a new era: 'Help wanted' for the Space Station, the Moon and beyond:
Alan Thirkettle, ISS Programme Manager, European Space Agency Europe’s human spaceflight programme – today and for the future
- Frank Danesy (tbc), Head of ESA/ESOC Human Resources, European Space Agency
The astronaut selection process:
- Gerhard Thiele, astronaut and Head of European Astronaut Corps, European Space Agency Becoming and being an astronaut – One astronaut's experience
10:45 - Q&A
11:00 - One-on-one interview opportunities
12:00 - End of the event
For further information on the recruitment process, see: www.esa.int/astronautselection
Media representatives wishing to attend are kindly requested to complete the accreditation form below and return it to mediarelations @ world-television.com or per fax to: 020 7387 8444 not later than 12:00 pm on Wednesday 7 May.
For further information, please contact:
ESA Communication Dept
Tel: (+33) 1 53 69 74 12
Email: clare.mattok @ esa.int
First name: ________________________________
[ ] I will attend the press conference
[ ] I will not attend