The ESA Education office is happy to announce a call for interest to host the 4th Symposium on Space Educational Activities!
The ESA Education office is searching for a university or higher education establishment to host this symposium, with a proposed date of ‘Spring 2021’. As in previous years the symposium is expected to attract at around 200 students, educators and professors from across Europe and promises to be an exciting showcase of the state, and future of, space educational activities in ESA member/cooperating states and the wider world!
Beyond the traditional classroom environment, there is a large suite of hands-on and training activities, opportunities and collaborations existing across Europe, with the aim to educate and promote research and careers in space science and technology. The 4th Symposium aims to bring together the providers of such activities, along with former, current and future participants, and to provide a forum for discussion on the current state and future of space educational activities in Europe and experiences there-of.
Specifically the symposium aims:
- To enable educators (both curricular and extra-curricular) to showcase and share their experiences providing/supporting space educational activities at the tertiary education (i.e. University) level
- To enable tertiary education (e.g. University) student, and young professional, participants in space educational activities to share their educational, scientific and technical results and experiences.
- To provide a forum for discussion on the current and future state of tertiary level space educational activities in Europe.
- To enable educators (including University students and High School teachers) to showcase and share their experiences in providing space educational activities for the secondary (e.g. high school) education level which ‘bridge’ the gap between secondary and tertiary education.
- To provide networking opportunities for both space education professionals and for participants in space education projects/activities.
- To elevate the understanding of academic, industrial and government institutions/organisations of the importance of hands-on activities and specialised training and learning opportunities in the preparation of the next generation of space scientists and engineers.
This fourth symposium follows the successful 1st Symposium (Padua, Italy, December 2015), 2nd Symposium (Budapest, Hungary, April 2018) and 3rd Symposium (Leicester, UK, September 2019) will constitute a continued series of symposia tracking the evolution of space educational activities and their participants.
More information on previous symposiums may be found here.
To register potential hosting organisations should complete the online form.
In order to be eligible, hosts must be an Institute of Higher Education (i.e. a University), located in an ESA Member State, Canada or Slovenia.
Following the close of the call for interest, registered parties will be invited to participate in a Request For Quotation issued by ESA Procurement (ESA HQ / ESTEC Purchase Office).
Calls for interest should be registered by May 1st 2020.
Selection process for hosting organisation:
|6th April 2020||Open Call for Interest for Hosts|
|1st May 2020||Close of Call for Interest for Hosts|
|Week 19 to Week 26 of 2020||Preliminary RFQ Schedule: Call for Proposals, Evaluation, Clarification/Negotiation and Award|
Preliminary symposium organisation schedule (to be agreed with the selected hosting organisation):
|July 2020||Online platform/website available and first round of promotional activities.|
Call for Abstracts
Online registration open
|December 2020||Close of call for Abstracts|
Notification of acceptance/instruction to authors
Issue of preliminary programme
|March/April/May 2021||Execution of symposium|
|July/August/September 2021||Publication of symposium proceedings.|
The ESA Education Office will support the hosting organisation with a subsidy of up to €10,000, plus support with the organisation and technical conference committees.
Contact person for this Expression of Interest: Alex Kinnaird firstname.lastname@example.org