An exciting opportunity has arisen for Master and PhD students to attend an ESA training course on Product Assurance and Safety (PA&S).
ESA’s PA&S engineers are a crucial part of mission operations. They are responsible for ensuring that materials, mechanical parts, processes and electrical components used in spacecraft and launchers are fit for purpose over the entire lifetime of a mission.
Given the nature and importance of this role, PA&S engineers are required to have a different mentality to other ESA team members. While “thinking outside of the box” is a cliché for others, it is absolutely essential for PA&S. These engineers need exceptionally high levels of perception, forethought, and imagination to anticipate problems and pre-emptively save missions from failure.
This upcoming PA&S Training Course is designed to attract the next generation of specialists needed to fulfil these vital positions. Run by current ESA PA&S managers and discipline experts, students will discover how PA&S is an integral part of engineering activities, playing a role in the development, design, test philosophy, build and operation of systems. Course trainers will also instil in students the unique ethos at the heart of successful PA&S engineers.
Event:Product Assurance and Safety Training Course
Dates: Monday 12 to Thursday 15 June 2017
Location: ESA Academy – Training and Learning Centre, ESA Redu Centre, Belgium
Application deadline: 24 April 2017
The preliminary schedule is as follows:
Module 1. Overall Context of Space Projects
Module 2. Setting the Scene
Module 3. Overview of Product Assurance in Space Business
Module 4.1 PA Disciplines: Dependability & Safety
Module 4.2 PA Disciplines: Software Product Assurance
Module 4.3 PA Disciplines: Electrical, Electronic and Electro-mechanical components
Module 4.4 PA Disciplines: Materials & Processes
Module 4.5 PA Disciplines: Quality Management & Assurance
Who can apply?
- ESA Education Office is looking for 22 talented and motivated students who fulfil the following criteria:Aged between 18 and 32;
- Citizen of an ESA Member or Associate State*;
- Enrolled as a full-time Master or PhD student in a university studying an engineering or scientific subject.
The selected students will be sponsored by ESA. The sponsorship will cover accommodation and meals as well as up to 200 Euros for travelling to Redu, Belgium.
How to apply?
- Complete the application form;
- Upload a motivation letter (PDF, maximum 1 page, no images);
- Upload a CV (PDF, maximum 2 pages);
- Upload a formal recommendation letter (PDF, maximum 1 page including signature, no images) from a university professor or an academic supervisor;
- Upload an official copy of academic records (PDF, preferably with the university stamp).
- The deadline for applications is 24 April 2017.
For more information, please contact esa.academy @ esa.int