Successful applicants will have their participation in the programme sponsored by the ESA Education office.
Funding is available for students’ travel, accommodation, and subsistence expenses related to the programme. During the Fly a Rocket! campaign at the Andøya Space Centre, accommodation, local transport and food will be provided. Costs for travel and required overnight stays en-route will be reimbursed up to the ceilings detailed below:
In order to be eligible for sponsorship, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
- The student must be aged between 18 and 32 at the time of application;
- The student must hold the nationality of an ESA Member or Associate States;
- At the time of application, the student must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate (bachelors), Masters or PhD student at a University in an ESA Member or Associate State, studying or researching a subject which is related to the programme.
N.b. The Fly a Rocket! programme is designed with undergraduate students in mind, and applicants from masters (or higher) level students must be well justified.
Sponsored students are responsible for making their own travel arrangements, unless informed otherwise. They are expected to arrange economy travel from a departure point in an ESA Member or Associate State to the location of the event and back to the original departure point. It is possible to stay longer in the location, in which case the additional expenses are the responsibility of the student.
Travel expenses up to a value of €300 will be reimbursed at a rate of 100%, travel expenses from €300 to €600 will be reimbursed at a rate of 80% such that the maximum reimbursement is €540 for an expenditure of €600. Reimbursements are made to the student’s bank account after the event, on production of valid receipts.
The following travel expenses will be reimbursed:
- Travel to the home airport by public transport;
- Return flights between the home airport and an airport close to the event (economy fare – please use budget airlines when available).
The following will not be reimbursed, except for exceptional circumstances, and must be agreed with the organisers beforehand:
- Taxi fares;
- Hire cars;
- Individual fuel bills, road tolls, parking tickets;
- Meals or overnight accommodation during the journey;
- Return travel from the home city to the event location or home airport by private car2.
Please note that students are responsible for their own arrangements for passports, visas, and any insurance required.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Alexander Kinnaird at flyarocket @ esa.int.
2Travel by private car will be reimbursed at a rate of €0.19 per km, up to the ceilings stated above. This rate is considered to include all related expenses (e.g. fuel, road tolls, taxes, insurances, parking, customs duties, etc..). You must have written approval to travel by private car before departure.