Terms and conditions for participation in ESA’s conference opportunities for sponsored students
Eligibility to apply for sponsorship
In order to be eligible to apply for sponsorship:
- the applicant must be aged between 18 and 32 at the time of the conference;
- the applicant must be a citizen of an ESA Member or Associate Member State*;
- at the time of application, the applicant must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate, graduate or PhD student in a university, studying or researching a subject which is related to one or more of the conference session topics;
- the applicant should have submitted an abstract related to their studies, thesis or project work, which they individually intend to present as either:
- a paper (oral or poster presentation) in one of the scientific/technical sessions of the conference
- a demonstration or presentation in an exhibition or at a special event related to the conference
- priority will be given to applicants who have never taken part in an activity sponsored by ESA's Education Office or by ESA in general.
N.B. The same abstract can not be submitted by more than one student. If the abstract is written by multiple authors, only one author may apply for the ESA Sponsorship.
Extent and method of sponsorship
The sponsorship will cover the participating student’s registration fee to the conference. Some additional costs, such as economy travel from designated departure points to the conference location and accommodation in a designated hotel, will also be covered. In all cases, students will be responsible for the cost of travel from their hometowns to the designated departure points and back, as well as for the costs of all non-sponsored meals, local transport and other living expenses. They will also have to make their own arrangements for passports, visas, travel insurance and medical insurance. In general, the sponsorship is awarded as a partial reimbursement of expenses after the conference. Students must obtain and retain the originals receipts for expenses which they seek to have reimbursed. Students must provide all the required documents, confirmations and receipts in a timely manner otherwise they will not be processed.
Conditions of sponsorship
Students who are selected for and accept ESA’s sponsorship commit to taking the following actions:
- Before the conference – promptly responding to ESA’s requests for information related to the programme, e.g. regarding travel plans, choice of conference sessions, etc.;
- During the conference – attending all compulsory sessions of the conference and participating in ESA elements of the programme and special events as required; acknowledging in their presentation/poster that they have been sponsored by ESA;
- At the end of the conference – providing email feedback about the event (or completing an ESA questionnaire) and writing a report about their experience;
- After the conference – giving a presentation in their university or institute about their participation in one of the ESA Education projects and distribute information about the opportunities offered by ESA's Education Office.
Students shall conduct themselves in such a manner so as not to jeopardize ESA’s reputation during their participation in the congress or workshop through the ESA conference opportunities for sponsored students programme. It must be clear that the students are not representing ESA. ESA shall not be held liable for any damages, including:
- bodily injury to, or other impairment of health of, or death of, any person;
- damage to, loss of, or loss of use of any property;
- loss of revenue or profits; or
- other direct, indirect, or consequential damage caused by the student participating in the event.
Students are not covered by any ESA medical or travel insurance and are required to make appropriate arrangements for their own medical, repatriation and travel insurance, including coverage for loss of, or damage to, their belongings. ESA reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions without prior notice.