ESA’s Electrical Engineering Department deals with a number of aspects of space disciplines and associated technologies at system and subsystem related to:
- end-to-end Radio Frequency (RF) systems for and techniques for the various space application domains
- security engineering
- Earth observation instruments, telecommunications and navigation payloads and associated equipment and antennas
- user ground segment equipment and technologies for navigation and telecom
- microwave and microelectronics technologies and components
- high accuracy time and frequency references and associated tools and techniques
- electromagnetics and wave interaction aspects
- Telemetry Tracking & Control transponders, Payload Data Transmission and associated system aspects
- on-board computers, memories, data handling for payloads and platforms
- on-board power systems (energy storage, power generation and management)
- Electro Magnetic Compatibility aspects
- space environment.
The Department provides essential technical support to all ESA programmes (Navigation, Earth Observation, Telecom, Science, and Exploration) and to the competitiveness of Member States industry through dedicated R&D programmes.
The electrical engineering activities are supported by a team of about 250 highly specialised people and a number of dedicated laboratories.