Scheduled for launch as from December this year, the second European Remote Sensing satellite, ERS-2, is undergoing final tests at ESA/ESTEC (the European Space research and Technology Centre) in Noordwijk, the Netherlands. In mid- September the spacecraft will be shipped to Kourou, French Guiana, from where it will be launched on board an Ariane 4 launcher.
Prior to its departure to the launch base, a presentation of the fully integrated spacecraft will take place at ESA/ESTEC on Friday 2 September 1994. Media representatives are welcome to follow the programme of the day which will be as follows:
- 10h00 Registration at the ESA/ESTEC Conference Centre.
- 10h30 Welcome by M. Le F.vre, Director of ESA/ESTEC.
- 10h40 Introduction by L. Emiliani, ESA's Director of Observation of the Earth and its Environment.
- 10h55 Slide presentation of ERS-1 mission results.
- 11h10 Presentation of the ERS-2 launch campaign and commissioning by Guy Duchossois, Head of ESA's Earth Observation Mission Management Office.
- 11h30 Discussion and Q&A session.
11h45- Visit to the ERS-2 flight model at the ESTEC spacecraft integration and test facilities with presentation by R. Zobl, Head of the Earth Observation Projects Department at ESTEC.
- Visit to ERS-1 results exhibition and presentation of ground segment activities by W. Jensen, Head of Exploitation Department at ESRIN. Buffet lunch.
- 14h30 Visit to the Noordwijk Space Expo.
Note : A complimentary shuttle bus will be available from Amsterdam-Schiphol airport to ESA/ESTEC and return.
Departure from Amsterdam- Schiphol: 09h15, return from ESA/ESTEC: 15h30.
Media representatives wishing to attend are kindly requested to fill out the attached form and send it -preferably by fax- to the :
ESA/ESTEC Conference Bureau
NL-2201 AZ Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Tel. + 31 1719 8 5005
Fax. + 31 1718 8 5658