The ESA summer workshop for teachers 2012
This year, the summer workshops for secondary science teachers will be held from 10 to 13 July. Application should be submitted by 4 June 2012 at 09:00 CET.
The third in a series of summer workshops organised by ESA will be held at the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC), Noordwijk, the Netherlands.
Developing new skills
During this workshop, participants will be presented with innovative and inspiring methods using space as a means for engaging students with the sciences. In addition to networking with their peers from across Europe, participants will have the opportunity to gain new skills that will enhance their teaching methods and refresh existing lessons.
The workshop aims to:
- Introduce and explain ESA’s educational resources, such as classroom materials, teaching tools and scientific data to motivated teachers.
- Enable participating teachers to make use of these resources in their classrooms.
- Encourage participants to disseminate the resources and knowledge gained at the workshop to other teachers.
- Establish a network of teachers to support ESA’s education activities and provide feedback on new resources.
Terms of participation
Teachers applying to attend the 2012 workshop agree that, if selected, they will carry out the activities listed below, following their participation.
- Demonstrate active dissemination of knowledge acquired at the workshop by organising at least 2 workshops for other teachers (the first should take place within 6 months of the ESA workshop).
- Take action to promote ESA education resources, for example, at teacher conferences, to other schools, through publication of articles, in newsletters, blogs, websites etc.
- Complete a dissemination form issued by ESA, one year after the workshop, reporting on the actions taken in points 1 and 2 above.
Who can apply?
The workshop is open to teachers of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects in secondary schools (students 12-18 years old) of ESA Member and Cooperating States*.
The application and workshop details can be found here.
* ESA Member States in 2012
Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.
Canada, Estonia, Hungary and Slovenia.