Call for ideas: ISS for Exploration
ESA announces a Call for Ideas for using the International Space Station (ISS) from 2011 onwards for specific experiments, spacecraft systems, subsystems and components, technology demonstrations, operations, outreach and education, in preparation for human exploration beyond Low Earth Orbit.
The call is open to scientific institutes, academia, national organisations including national agencies, entrepreneurs, industries and ESA staff.
ISS for Exploration
Call for Ideas
Experiments, Spacecraft Systems, Subsystems and Components,
Technology Demonstrations and Operations
utilising the International Space Station
in preparation for Human Exploration beyond Low Earth Orbit
See "Download Area" on the right panel for associated documents
It is suggested that proposed ideas be consistent with the following perspective:
- ISS utilisation until 2020 and beyond;
- assembly of post-ISS orbital infrastructures (e.g. human-tended free flyer for microgravity experiments, spaceport for spacecraft in-orbit assembly and refuelling);
- enabling the next steps of human exploration beyond LEO such as long-cruise stages to get to other destinations (near Earth asteroids, Mars’ moons and ultimately Mars);
- to prepare for human activities on planetary body surfaces (Moon, Mars, asteroids).
However, proposals in other related areas are not excluded. In particular, this may concern ideas related to ISS enhancement or the reduction of ISS exploitation costs, such as:
- providing new capabilities;
- increasing the autonomy of the crew;
- enabling the extension of the ISS lifetime;
- decreasing ISS maintenance requirements;
- enhancing the efficiency of resources (water, air, energy, food,…) utilisation and recycling on-board the ISS.
Broadly speaking, all ideas related to the efficient exploitation of an infrastructure in LEO for post-ISS infrastructures development are welcome.
Letter of Interest: 05 November 2010 (not binding neither mandatory), mentioning the name and affiliation of the proposer, the title of the proposal and a short description (10 lines maximum) of the idea or concept. Your submission will be acknowledged within 10 working days of receipt.
Idea proposal: 10 December 2010, using the attached form in Annex 3. Your submission will be acknowledged within 10 working days of receipt.