What services does the European Space Battery Test Centre offer?
Although tasks requested for ESA projects are generally given priority the European Space Battery Test Centre does provide services for other European space programmes and companies, including SMEs (although not in competition with commercial laboratories) that meet the criteria described below.
A candidate customer can request a quotation to perform a test by contacting Test Centre manager Carla Signorini (contact details below). To qualify, the candidate customer (or end customer they are acting for) must be a person or body under the jurisdiction of an ESA Member State. The project in question must correspond to standard ESA Directorate of Technical and Quality Management research and development – space oriented work such as equipment testing –and must have a peaceful purpose.
The European Space Battery Test Centre tests and characterises virtually all batteries/cells used or planned for use by European space missions. It performs the following services:
- Long-term automatic life-testing under controlled situations (temperature, vacuum)
- Testing of batetrues with capacities from less than 0.1Ah to more than 300 Ah and voltages up to 400V
- Abuse testing.
- Characterisation of prototype cells.
- Initiating/supporting development of mathematical models of cells.
- Validation of battery management.
- Safety related tests for certification of batteries, including European payloads used onboard the International Space Station.
- Troubleshooting for in-orbit missions.
- Fuel cell testing.
A data archive of all tested cells/batteries is maintained and the Test Centre operates according to well-defined procedures, with quality assurance procedures documented according to ISO 9001 standard.
Carla Signorini, Carla.Signorini @ esa.int
Last update: 24 September 2009