What services does the Mechanical Systems Laboratory offer?
Although tasks requested for ESA projects are generally given priority the Mechanical Systems Laboratory offers services for other European space programmes and companies (although not in competition with commercial laboratories) that meet the criteria described below.
A candidate customer can request a quotation to perform a test by contacting the Laboratory manager (contact details below). To qualify, the candidate customer (or end customer they are acting for) must be a person or body under the jurisdiction of an ESA Member State. The project in question must correspond to standard ESA Directorate of Technical and Quality Management research and development, and have a peaceful purpose.
The core services offered by the Mechanical Systems Laboratory are as follows:
- Thermal cycling and thermal balance tests of equipment
- Thermal cycling of materials down to cryogenic temperatures
- Measurement of thermal conductivity of materials and joints down to cryogenic temperatures
- Multi-Layer-Insulation performance measurements
- Climatic tests at ambient pressure
- Measurement of the coefficient of thermal and moisture expansion, including humidity intake
- Microvibration measurement in thermal environment
- Mechanical dynamic testing for small equipment (sine, random, shock)
- Establishment and operation of thermal device breadboards
- Residual gas measurements in the ESTEC Large Space Simulator The laboratory is ISO 17025 accredited for 5 measurement methods.
Bernd Lehmann, Bernd.Lehmann @ esa.int,
Last update: 24 September 2009