ESA Business Incubation Centres
ESA BIC UK
Utilising space technology can offer ambitious entrepreneurs the opportunity to gain a competitive advantage within their sector. In partnership with ESA, STFC provides the support and funding that start-up companies need to turn their ideas into profitable products and services using space technology, or to develop technologies for use in space.
Your ESA BIC UK contact person: Sue O’Hare
Wish to join an ESA BIC?
- Your idea must be based on space-related technology, expertise and/or application and target the non-space market, or you must be developing products and services for the space sector.
- Your company must not be older than five years or you are ready to start a new company
- Your company has to be based at and managed from your preferred ESA BIC
Join the ESA BIC by five steps
- Choose the ESA BIC where you wish to locate your business
- Contact the ESA BIC manager (email to: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Download the Permanent Open Call for Proposals containing the application documents and guidance from www.esa-bic.org.uk
- Submit your signed and completed application files as instructed in the Permanent Open Call document.
Why ESA BIC UK?
STFC manages ESA BIC UK across its sites, offering successful applicants fully equipped office space, as well as access to all the benefits of being part of the flourishing and unique network of science and innovation campuses.
Businesses work alongside, and in collaboration with, other businesses, STFC scientists and engineers, accessing a whole wealth of expertise.
Each of the three locations is associated with a number of specialisms:
- At Harwell, there is an established space cluster which includes STFC’s RAL Space and the Satellite Applications Catapult, and which is already home to 80 space-related companies.
- Sci-Tech Daresbury, with more than 130 companies onsite, has established clusters themed around big data and medical technologies.
The Royal Observatory Edinburgh has a long heritage in the space, data and satellite industries in addition to the brand new Higgs Centre for Innovation.
Start-ups can choose their location either according to location or specialism.
Our current and former start-up companies
STFC is extremely proud of the success stories that have come out of the programme since it began in 2011 and continues to follow the progress of companies as they graduate, having recently reached the milestone of 60 alumni companies.
More on the ESA BIC UK start-ups here.
Last update: 28 February 2019