|Exercise 1: The Andean region|
The objective of this exercise is to locate and study the relief, climate and vegetation of the Andes between Argentina and Chile. We will also look at a specific area, located between 32º and 36º Southern Latitude.
In order to do this exercise, you will need to
Both can be found on the right.
- load the LEOWorks image processing software
- download the Andes.zip file
You will be working with satellite image MERIS_FR_ 20070318.tif (data acquired on 18 March 2007).
We have provided you with an image of the Andes between Argentina and Chile which covers the area between 32 and 36 degrees South.
False colour infrared image of the Andes region between 32 and 36 degrees South
From the Andes.zip file, download the images MERIS_FR_20070318_321 and MERIS_FR_20070318_432 and open them in LEOWorks. The first image is a natural colour image, whereas the second is a false colour infrared image that shows the vegetated area in red.
Do “Interactive contrast stretching” on both images and put them side by side (in LeoWorks4 use Window-Tile Horizontally and click on “Synchronize compatible product”. Use “Synchronize cursor position” as well) .
Observe this region attentively.
2. See if you can locate this region in your School Atlas.
3. Describe the kind of topography present.
4. Compare the morphology of the landscape on the east side and on the west side of the mountain range. How is the vegetation distributed?
5. Describe the land cover and land use present.
6. If you were travelling across the Andes, what climate zones would you pass?
7. Can you explain the differences between the mountainous area on the east, and the mountainous area on the west?