Internship: Multimedia at the European Astronaut Centre
The European Astronaut Centre is looking for enthusiastic interns to develop and design video and multimedia material.
Astronaut training at the EAC
The EAC is the home base of Europe's astronauts. As part of their preparation for missions to the ISS all astronauts from ESA and its International Partners (NASA, Roscosmos, JAXA, CSA) receive training at EAC for the Columbus European research laboratory. In addition, the EAC provides training for certain special skills such as Robotics and Extra-Vehicular Activities (EVA) as well as training for Ground Support Personnel.
You will be working in the Space Training Team as part of a multidisciplinary and multinational group of technical experts.
Your tasks as an intern will be diverse but centered around the production of video and multimedia for training and E-Learning.
For example, one important task is helping to create training videos for astronauts. You will be involved throughout the production process; helping to write storyboards, planning and shooting the footage (for example, you might be interviewing an astronaut or creating an animation), as well as editing the final video. Solid skills in multimedia development, both 2D and 3D, and/or design will see you being kept busy on a range of varied and novel activities.
Main work responsibilities
- Recording and editing videos for training and other purposes (for example: Journey to ISS)
- Development of multimedia content
- Assisting in the creative and design process by illustrating complex technical concepts
- Supporting the Space Training Team as required
Desired qualifications and skills
- You should either be studying multimedia/graphic design or come from any background but have excellent multimediaskills
- Experience with video and/or audio recording and editing
- Experience creating 2D/3D graphics and animation using software such as Adobe CC
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Fluent English (minimum CEFRA C1)
- A passion for human spaceflight would be beneficial but most important are enthusiasm, curiosity and resourcefulness
Terms and conditions
- Full time internship 5 days per week at the European Astronaut Centre near Cologne
- Start date: From May 2018 onwards (Successful applications are accepted on an ongoing basis)
- Maximum duration of the internship is 6 months (minimum 3 months)
- A monthly allowance is paid:
- €600 (if currently living more than 50 km from EAC)
- €300 (if less than 50 km)
- The non-resident allowance will also be granted to students with special needs, irrespective of their residency status.
- You must be a citizen of an ESA member or cooperating state in order to be eligible
- Applicants must be enrolled at a university or college
We are looking for creative people who can work independently.
You will be encouraged to show initiative, take on new challenges, learn new skills.
In return you will have access to EAC facilities and be working in a stimulating environment that is unique within Europe. The vibrant, cultural city of Cologne and famous River Rhine are just nearby.