The ESA NPI Programme is offering a possibility to do a PhD, or part of it, within a space related subject in cooperation with ESA.
How to apply
- Contact your professor on existing NPI cooperation to accommodate your PhD project
- Alternatively, contact the ESA NPI advisors (see below)
- Together with your professor and the respective ESA department, complete the online application form
- Submit your application to our ESA NPI advisors
The selection of PhD proposals takes place twice a year through a selection board.
Accepted proposals are offered support in a number of ways:
- Co-funding – NPI co-funds research projects up to 50% or a total amount of max. €30,000 per year for doctorate degree investigations
- Access to the ESA laboratories - NPI participants can use ESA facilities for a minimum of six and a maximum of 12 months
- Technical support – NPI participants collaborate with ESA experts with whom they discuss proposal concepts and verify their potential for space applications
- Networking – NPI participants can search for industrial partners for further cooperation and can build 'innovation networks' through ESA links.
NPI advisors and former partners
For more information, please contact our NPI advisors:
- Joerg.Wehner@esa.int - Space Segment related initiatives
- Reinhold.Bertrand@esa.int - Ground Segment related initiatives
A full list of NPI cooperation partners, universitis and research institutions can be found here.