Post Docs: Research Fellowship
ESA's postdoctoral Research Fellowship programme (RF) aims to offer young scientists and engineers the possibility for two years to carry out research in a variety of disciplines related to space science, space applications or space technology. Applicants must have recently attained their doctorate in a field closely connected to space activities.
To see open Research Fellowships, click here.
- Applications are accepted from nationals of ESA Member States and European Cooperating States, together with Canada which has a cooperation agreement with ESA.
- Applicants must have recently completed their PhD in a field closely connected to space activities.
- Candidates are selected on the basis of their application to a research fellow. These opportunities are published throughout the year.
- Applications should be sent via the ESA online application form available in the ‘how to apply’ section of the opportunity. A cover letter, CV and list of publications, with bibliographical references, should accompany the application, in one document (Word or PDF format). Each of the three referees named in the application form should send a reference letter to email@example.com. No application sent after the closing date will be accepted.
- Applicants will receive an automatic acknowledgement of receipt once their application has been submitted.
- All applications received are evaluated and only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted again, within four to six weeks after the closing date.
- All candidates who attend an interview will be informed of its outcome, usually within six to eight weeks of the interview.
- The successful candidate will start the research fellowship on a date agreed with the recruiting manager, generally within six months of receipt of the offer of appointment.
Attractive terms and conditions
- Contracts are for two years, with the possibility of renewal for a third year.
- The monthly remuneration (basic net salary or take-home pay) falls within a predetermined range and varies depending on the appointee’s qualifications and experience. The remuneration also depends on the location of the ESA establishment where the fellow is appointed and ranges from €3000 to €3800 per month.
- Fellows may be entitled to an expatriation allowance and/or to an installation allowance on arrival if they meet the conditions of entitlement. Removal expenses are not reimbursed.
- 2.5 days paid leave per month.
- Health cover under ESA’s social security scheme.
Last update: 7 July 2017