ESA title

ESA copyright notice

9493 views 18 likes
ESA / About Us / Law at ESA / Intellectual Property Rights

ESA Portal Multimedia Gallery

The ESA Portal Multimedia Gallery contains images and videos used throughout the ESA Portal. The images are offered in the Gallery in the highest resolution available.

Most images have been released publicly from ESA. You may use ESA images or videos for educational or informational purposes. The publicly released ESA images may be reproduced without fee, on the following conditions:

  • Credit ESA as the source of the images:
    Examples: Photo: ESA; Photo: ESA/Cluster; Image: ESA/NASA - SOHO/LASCO.
  • ESA images may not be used to state or imply the endorsement by ESA or any ESA employee of a commercial product, process or service, or used in any other manner that might mislead.
  • If an image includes an identifiable person, using that image for commercial purposes may infringe that person's right of privacy, and separate permission should be obtained from the individual.

If these images are to be used in advertising or any commercial promotion, layout and copy must be submitted to ESA beforehand for approval.

Some images contained in this Gallery have come from other sources, and this is indicated in the Copyright notice. For re-use of non-ESA images contact the designated authority.

Use of ESA videos

The use of ESA video images in streaming and downloadable format is limited to direct viewing and/or file storage on a single computer per stream and/or download. Forwarding of files or streams to other computers, or use on any non-ESA Web is prohibited. For the authorization of any such use, please contact the ESA Web Portal team.

ESA astronauts

Did you know that if an image includes an identifiable person and that image is used for commercial purposes, it may infringe upon that person’s right of privacy? Thus, separate permission must be obtained from the individual. In addition, the Agency has its own Astronaut policy for commercial activities. Thus specific authorisation must be obtained from the Agency.