COSPAR Scientific Assembly
The 38th Scientific Assembly of the Committee on Space Research (COSPAR) is being held in Bremen, Germany from the 18th to the 25th of July 2010. It is the biggest interdisciplinary conference on space science worldwide.
COSPAR Student Programme, developed and supported by the members of the International Space Education Board, namely Canadian Space Agency (CSA), Centre National d’Études Spatiales (CNES), European Space Agency (ESA), Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) of the United States, offers students full opportunities of learning and networking with their peers and members of space industry, academia and government bodies from countries around the world.
Throughout the course of the COSPAR Scientific Assembly, students will have opportunities to present their research, participate in discussions and learn about the latest advancements in various areas of space research.
The International Student Zone (ISZ) serves as the main place of activities of the Student Programme. This is where students have opportunities to meet and work with each other and present their projects as well as to learn from and interact with senior representatives and leading experts of space agencies. ISZ will host daily presentations by those representatives and experts.
Students from across Europe are invited to apply for this programme. Successful applicants will be sponsored by ESA Education to cover their registration fees and a contribution towards travel and accommodation expenses.
To check your eligibility, as well as the conditions of sponsorship, please refer to the terms and conditions of sponsorship.
How to apply
In order to be considered for selection, you are requested to:
- Register and submit an abstract at the COSPAR Assembly website by 19 February 2010. For more information please refer to the Assembly website.
- Submit a financial support application to COSPAR via the online form in the “Financial Support” section of the website by 19th February 2009. Note that if you would like to be considered for ESA Education sponsorship and participation in the ISEB-organised Student Programme then you must tick ‘yes’ in box No.2 and 3. in this form.
- Apply for ESA sponsorship under the Student Participation Programme by 14 March 2010 (midnight CET). To do so please:
- Register for ESA Education projects. You will receive an email confirmation with a username and password for your login.
- Log in and select COSPAR Assembly under the list of ESA Education projects.
- In the ‘Motivation’ field, please provide details on the abstract/paper you have submitted to COSPAR including the name of the primary author, title of the paper and session number (as indicated in the COSPAR Call for Papers).
- In the ‘Document 1’ field, upload a Cover Letter detailing why you would like to attend COSPAR (including why your paper is of importance), what you hope to learn there and why you consider yourself a good candidate to be sponsored by the ESA Education Office. (PDF)
- In the ‘Document 2’ field, upload your CV (PDF, maximum 2 pages, no images)
- In the ‘Document 3’ field, upload a copy of your Abstract (PDF, as submitted to COSPAR)
Authors whose abstracts have been accepted will be notified by the COSPAR Assembly programme committee at the end of April, after which they will be requested to upload a full manuscript of the paper they are planning to present.
Together with COSPAR, ESA will select up to 20 students to be sponsored to attend the ISEB Student Programme. Successful applicants will be notified by ESA by the beginning of May.