ESA Business Incubation Centres
ESA BIC Barcelona
The ESA Business Incubation Centre Barcelona (ESA BIC Barcelona) opened in 2014. It is managed by Barcelona Activa and supported locally by renowed public administrations and institutions, namely Area Metropolitana de Barcelona, Diputació de Barcelona, Consell Comarcal del Baix Llobregat, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – Parc UPC and Caixa Capital Risc. Located in Barcelona, Spain, this incubator offers start up support and technical expertise for the creation of innovative companies.
Barcelona Activa is Barcelona City Council’s Local Development Agency and an international benchmark for supporting entrepreneurship, innovation, professional improvement and job creation based on its 27 years of operations with extensive experience in business incubation.
Your ESA BIC Barcelona contact person: Jorge Fuentes
ESA BIC Barcelona
Parc UPC - PMT
Esteve Terrades, 1
Tel: (+34) 650 500 745
Wish to join an ESA BIC?
- Your idea must be based on space-related technology, expertise and/or application and target the non-space market
- Your company must not be older than five years or you are going to start a new company
- Your company have to be located at and managed from your preferred ESA BIC
Join the ESA BIC by five steps
- Choose ESA BIC where you wish to locate your business
- Contact the ESA BIC manager (email to: )
- Download the Permanent Open Call for Proposal for your application guidance
- Download and fill in the Application Template
- Send your signed and completed application files to the ESA BIC manager.
Why ESA BIC Barcelona?
ESA BIC Barcelona proposes a strong support structure and skill resources to hosted start-up companies: the “incubatees”.
Barcelona Activa provides incubated companies with a full programme of advice, measures, services and programmes to support entrepreneurship, including:
- Business advice. Barcelona Activa offers incubator companies an advisory service which provides specialised information about business topics, gives advice about management areas and provides customised information on calls, tenders, etc. that may be of interest to the company. If needed Barcelona Activa can provide incubatees with online tools (e.g. Business Plan Online) to develop their own business model and to improve or pivot it.
- Continuous professional development to improve the business management and knowledge skills of incubatees' staff. These measures are designed to meet the needs of the companies and include topics such as sales management, marketing and management skills.
- Networking and interaction between companies hosted at the incubator to foster synergies and joint projects.
The selected companies will have access to :
- personalized assistance, including professional business guidance
- training and services provided by Barcelona Activa
- the opportunity to be supported by business appointments in other regions
- technical support
- customized support for finding national and international financial and engineering partners
- agreements with financiers to obtain financing
Specifically, the services and programmes in place for 2014 are:
- Business Financing Service: support service for finding financing which works with the business to identify its needs, decide on the best route to follow and support the processing of bank, public or private investor financing. Barcelona Activa offers this service to increase the range of financing resources for the companies (loans, microfinance, crowdfunding, Business Angels, public loans like ENISA Jóvenes Emprendedores, etc.)
- Business Employment Service: service for firms in Barcelona and its metropolitan area that need to hire new staff for their business operations. It puts them in contact with Barcelona Activa users who meet the requirements for a vacancy and are interested in applying for it. Barcelona Activa has agreements with different actors to offer a wide range of professional profiles (universities, business school, jobposting, etc.)
- Access to New Markets: Barcelona Activa makes it easier for the city’s SMEs to access tenders to supply goods or services to the public sector. The public tenders programme provides access to public procurement through awareness, identification and information about public tenders. We also introduce and refer enterprises to other government agencies working to help companies start up operations abroad.
- Targeted Strategy, Dimensioning and Sales Programmes: throughout the year we offer a range of programmes on strategy, sales in English, and activities and workshops aimed at catering for the specific needs that come up in a company’s daily operations depending on their point in time, maturity and business sector.
- Learning to Grow: programme that mentors entrepreneurs as they develop and grow their businesses with the help of a group of experts from the IESE Business School. Over 10 sessions lasting 5 hours each, participants are given the chance to learn through examining specific situations and attending talks and discussions.
- Mentoring: programme delivering support for SMEs through assessment and advice provided on a voluntary basis by businesspeople and executives who have outstanding track records.
- Axelera: programme aimed at identifying the companies with most growth potential in the Barcelona metropolitan area to help them expand.
- Acceleration programme for start-ups: this programme is exclusively for businesses in Barcelona Activa incubates and consists of a package of services designed to help companies map out their business models and start trading quicker. The programme features workshops and individual support to devise the business model of each participating company, combining a range of acceleration models (Canvas, Customer Development, Lean Start-up, etc.)
Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, as a local partner, offers the incubatees with the following services:
- Promoting research and innovation to meet the socio-economic needs of its surroundings.
- Driving cooperation between the different members of the research and innovation system: government, businesses, universities, research centres and interface organisations.
- Supplying research and knowledge-generating units and organisations and businesses with an attractive environment geared towards identifying synergies.
- Support for setting up technology-based enterprises, mentoring their business growth and consolidation and fostering an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Support in seeking public and private funding and reaching out for a business contact network, business training and legal, tax and accounting advisory services, etc.
- Protection of intellectual and industrial property: Patents and Licensing Office.
- Access to the UPC’s scientific and technical infrastructure and amenities.
- Technical and tax certification of research, development and technological innovation (R&D&TI) activities: AIDIT.
- Information and advice about Research & Development and technology innovation projects (R&D&IT): INNOVA Programme.
- Development of R&D projects by university research groups, joint research units and technology centres: Technology Transfer Centres and Innovation and Technology Centres.
- Jobs board, internships and final degree projects by students from engineering schools and doctoral theses.
Our current and former start-up companies
A list of entrepreneurs and start-up companies hosted will be added.
Last update: 8 March 2016