ESA Business Incubation Centres
Start-up opportunity for entrepreneurs
ESA’s Technology Transfer Programme Office (TTPO) initiated its Business Incubation Centres (BICs) to inspire and work with entrepreneurs to turn space-connected business ideas into commercial start-ups companies.
This has proven to be a very successful initiative. Over 620 start-ups have been fostered throughout Europe with thousands of new high tech jobs created thanks to the re-use of space technologies and ESA intellectual properties as well as the use of satellite provided data - and more than 160 new ones are taken in yearly at the ESA BICs.
Twenty ESA BICs in 17 European countries have been set-up with more already in the planning. Together with their national partners and ESA the centres provide all the needed technical expertise and business-development support to the more than 300 start-ups currently under incubation.
Many examples are illustrated in the “Our Future in the Space Age” introducing ESA’s technology transfer programme and telling the stories of how some space technologies spin-offs have resulted in innovative applications and smart solutions for citizens on Earth.
Successful ESA BIC entrepreneurs
The ESA BICs provides an excellent opportunity for entrepreneurs and start-ups to turn their ideas and inventions into successful businesses in Europe. At the centres they are provided with:
- office space and logistics support
- technical support
- business assistance
- seed money and access to equity loan facilities
- access to inventors, VCs and other finance opportunities
- help to find partners and launch business internationally through the extensive ESA BIC network
ESA offers business incubation at:
- ESA BIC Noordwijk located in Noordwijk near ESTEC in the Netherlands.
- ESA BIC Hessen & Baden-Württemberg with three centres located in Darmstadt near ESOC, in Reutlingen and near Friedrichshafen-Immenstadt in Germany.
- ESA BIC Lazio located in Rome near ESRIN in Italy.
- ESA BIC Bavaria with four centres located in Oberpfaffenhofen, in Nürnberg, in Berchtesgadener Land and in Ottobrunn, Germany.
- ESA BIC UK with three centres located at Harwell, in Edinburgh and in Daresbury in UK.
- ESA BIC Belgium with three centres located in Redu in the Wallonie region and in Geel and Mol in the Flandern region of Belgium.
- ESA BIC Sud France with six centres located in the Aquitaine, Midi-Pyrénées, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur and Auvergne Rhone Alpes regions in the south of France.
- ESA BIC Barcelona in Spain.
- ESA BIC Portugal with three centres in Coimbra, in Porto and in Cascais near to Lisbon.
- ESA BIC Madrid Region with four centres in Pozuelo, in Tres Cantos, in Leganés and in Mostoles, all in the Madrid region in Spain.
- ESA BIC Sweden with three centres in Luleå, in Uppsala and in Trollhättan.
- ESA BIC Czech Republic with two centres in Prague and in Brno.
- ESA BIC Austria with two centres in Graz and in Wiener Neustadt.
- ESA BIC Ireland with four centres in Cork, in Athlon, in Maynooth and in Ringaskiddy
- ESA BIC Switzerland with the centre in Zurich and supporting start-ups throughout the country through virtual incubation.
- ESA BIC Estonia with two centres in Tartu and Talling.
- ESA BIC Finland with two centres in Espoo and Tarku.
- ESA BIC Nord France with six centres in Brest, in Nantes, in Paris, in Lille, in Troyes and in Caen.
- ESA BIC Hungary in Budapest.
- ESA BIC Norway with three centres to open 31 August 2018.
ESA BICs: How to apply
ESA Business Incubation Centres (ESA BICs) have open calls for proposals, which means that applications can be submitted at any time.
Procedures and detailes are specific for each centre, and include both the Call for Proposal and a Proposal Template to be used. National and site conditions specific for each centre is also specified.
For more information, please visit the pages for the specific ESA BICs.
ESA BIC contact person: Bruno Naulais
To know more on ESA's business incubation, please contact:
- Bruno Naulais, European Space Incubators Network Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ESA Technology Transfer Program Office, at email@example.com
or contact directly one of our ESA Business Incubator Centres.
Last update: 17 July 2018