ESA's Space in Images contains images used throughout the ESA Portal. The images are offered in this website in the highest resolution available.
Images released under ESA standard licence
Most images have been released publicly from ESA. You may use ESA images or videos for educational or informational purposes. The publicly released ESA images may be reproduced without fee, on the following conditions:
Credit ESA as the source of the images.
Examples: Photo: ESA; Photo: ESA/Cluster; Image: ESA/NASA - SOHO/LASCO
- ESA images may not be used to state or imply the endorsement by ESA or any ESA employee of a commercial product, process or service, or used in any other manner that might mislead.
- If an image includes an identifiable person, using that image for commercial purposes may infringe that person‘s right of privacy, and separate permission should be obtained from the individual.
- Some images contained in this website have come from other sources, and this is indicated in the Copyright notice. For re-use of non-ESA images contact the designated authority.
- If ESA images are to be used in advertising or any commercial promotion, layout and copy must be submitted to ESA beforehand for approval to: email@example.com
Images or videos released by ESA under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 IGO (CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO) Licence
Where expressly so stated, images or videos are covered by the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 IGO (CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO) licence, ESA being an Intergovernmental Organisation (IGO), as defined by the CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO licence.
The terms used with capitals herein are defined in the CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO licence.
The user is allowed under the terms and conditions of the CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO licence to Reproduce, Distribute and Publicly Perform the ESA images and videos released under CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO licence and the Adaptations thereof, without further explicit permission being necessary, for as long as the user complies with the conditions and restrictions set forth in the CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO licence, these including that:
the source of the image or video is duly credited (Examples: “Credit: ESA/Rosetta/NavCam – CC BY-SA IGO 3.0”, “ESA/DLR/FU Berlin, CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO”, “ESA/Photographer’s name, CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO”), and
a direct link to the CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO licence text is provided, and
- if changes were made to the original image or video, there is a clear statement on the Adaptation indicating that changes were made to the original content; Adaptations must be Distributed or Publicly Performed under the Applicable License, as set forth in Article 4b of the CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO licence.
The user must not use Adaptations stating or implying the endorsement by ESA or any ESA employee of the Adaptations that the user has made or in any other manner that might mislead.
No warranties are given. The licence may not give the user all of the permissions necessary for the intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how the user uses the material.
To view a copy of this license, please visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/igo/
For any enquiries concerning use of ESA images, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated on 1 March 2017