ESA IP cores can generally be licensed to be used
- in the frame of ESA contracts, or
- for privately-funded activities.
Depending on the particular IP core needed, restrictions on its usage might be present, so please refer to the web pages dedicated to each individual ESA IP core for more details.
In any case, the procedure for requesting and licensing ESA IP cores is the same, and the following conditions apply:
- Licences can only be granted to companies or institutes that provide ESA with a duly completed IP Request Form.
- the scope of use of the ESA IP cores is limited to peaceful purposes
- no warranty or technical support is provided by ESA.
A handling fee is applicable
- per requested ESA IP core, and
- per company or institute using the ESA IP core for a given specific "application case" ("application case" is defined as a particular ASIC or FPGA design or a microelectronic test environment developed with the help of the ESA IP core(s). The development can be part of an ESA R&D contract, an instrument or unit for an ESA mission, or part of a privately funded R&D project or commercial product).
The handling fee is EUR5000 for HDL IP-Cores and EUR1000 for SystemC IP-Cores. These handling fees contribute to sustain the ESA IP cores service and the ESA resources employed in the numerous technical, legal and administrative tasks involved.
For either licence type (A) or (B), if you wish to order any of the ESA IP cores, please fill in the IP Request Form . One IP Request Form will be needed for every new "application case", even if the ESA IP Core was licensed previously to the same company or institute.
- One ESA IP core, used by one company, for one ESA R&D contract => one licence, handling fee = 1 x €5000 = €5000
- Three different ESA IP cores, used by one company, for one instrument in one ESA mission => one licence, handling fee = 3 x €5000 = €15000
- Three different ESA IP Cores, used by two companies with a common prime, for the same instrument in an ESA mission => one licence, handling fee = 3 x €5000 = €15000 (the two companies are assumed to work as a team, in the same development case)
- Three different ESA IP Cores, used by two companies with no common prime contractor. Each company to work on their own specific developmemnt but for the same ESA mission => two licences, handling fee = 2 x 3 x €5000 = €30000
- Three different ESA IP Cores, used by one company, for two different instruments in one or more ESA missions => two licences (one per application case, i.e. per instrument), total handling fees = 2 x 3 x €5000 = €30000, €15000 per licence.
- One ESA IP core, used by one company, for one R&D project (not an ESA funded development) => one licence, handling fee = 1 x €5000 = €5000
- Two ESA IP cores, used by one company, for one commercial product (not an ESA funded development) => one licence, handling fee = 2 x €5000 = €10000
As an additional clarification, note that in case that more than one company is working on an instrument/module and under a common prime contractor, a single license (for the prime, with the right to sublicense the IP to his subcontractors for the given "application case") with a single handling fee can be issued. Therefore and in order to speed up the ESA licensing process and to minimize the number of handling fees, ESA strongly recommends that in these cases it is the prime contractor the one who submits the IP Request Form, specifying clearly all the subcontracted companies and IP users that will be using the IP core(s) for the same specified "application case".
A sample licence template is provided from the menu on the right. This template indicates the general terms and conditions for the licensing of the ESA IP cores, but please bear in mind that a custom licence will be prepared for each case. This custom licence will be based on the licence template provided, but will be tailored according to the specific licensing conditions of each specific ESA IP core, and to the target application.
Before you order any ESA IP cores, please read the sample licence agreement and check whether you can accept it and comply with the general conditions. In addition please read the specific licensing conditions (if any) for the specific ESA IP cores to be requested (as it is explained in the web pages dedicated to each individual ESA IP core).
Licence for ESA-funded activities
ESA IP cores can be licensed to be used in the frame of ESA contracts. When submitting the required IP Request Form, please make sure to inform about the submission to all the companies or user groups contractually involved who will be authorised as users of the ESA IP Core, as well as the ESA's technical and contract officers. The a standalone license shall be delivered and a notice that such license has been produced shall be added to the contract as an Appendix (if the license is prepared before the signature of the contract) or through a Contract Change Notice (if the license is prepared after contract signature).
Licence for privately-funded activities
ESA IP cores can be licensed from ESA to companies or institutes within the territory of the Member/Participating States of the European Space Agency even when the intended application is not part of an ESA-funded activity. Commercial use is allowed, however, manufacturing and sale outside the licensed territory requires prior authorisation by the Agency. This licence will not be linked to an ESA contract. Instead the scope will be limited to a given project or product development (and its commercialisation, if that is the case) to be agreed upon with ESA and reflected accordingly in the ESA licence.