Free Search (19661 images)
- Title Proba-2 technologies
- Released 30/05/2006 11:52 am
- Copyright ESA
PROBA2 is demonstrating a large number of new technologies in orbit:
- Digital Sun Sensor (TNO - NL),
- BepiColombo Star Tracker (Selex Galileo - I) – both this and the Digital Sun Sensor are digital attitude sensor based on APS technology, as well as micro-mechanical devices and folded optics. The latter design is a demonstration model for ESA’s forthcoming mission to Mercury.
Propulsion module consisting of:
• Cold Gas Resistojet Thrusters (SSTL - UK) using xenon as propellant.
• Cool Gas Generator experiment (Bradford Engineering/TNO – UK/NL) a solid-state nitrogen gas generator which will generate nitrogen to re-pressurise the propulsion module tank. This COGEX system contains four solid state cartridges which -when ignited- generate nitrogen to re-pressurise the propulsion tank of the resistojet system and squeeze out more performance.
• Propulsion controller which is integrated into AOCS I/F.
- A Fibre Sensor Demonstrator (MPB - CDN), with fibre optics interfacing with the propulsion module to measure temperature and pressure levels
- Science Grade Vector Magnetometer (SGVM) (DTU – DK) being directly controlled by the µASC electronics, delivering real time magnetic field components with a very high precision. This prototype is paving the way for an operational version to be flown on ESA’s Swarm mission.
- Experimental Solar Panel with a solar flux concentrator (ESP) (CSL - B), aimed at studying temperature behaviour and ageing effects resulting from concentrated solar flux. In-flight results show an 55% increase in cell efficiency, with measurements being repeated to monitor solar cell degradation
- A dual-frequency GPS receiver (Thales Alenia Space - F), radiation hardened and dual frequency, intended for use on many future missions
- An Exploration Micro- Camera (XCAM), (SpaceX - CH), a powerful miniaturised micro-camera with a large optical field of view
- A Laser RetroReflector (LRR) (Federal Unitary State Enterprise - RUS)
- A set of magnetometers (ZMM) (ZARM - D)
- Credit Card Magnetometer (CCM) (Lusospace - PT), this and the Zarm are new developments of high precision, high-rate three axis magnetometers
- A set of additional innovative GNC algorithms (NGC - CDN),
- TDM, an additional ADPMS board (measuring radiation effects) (Qinetiq Space, B)
- Id 236314
Thank you for rating!
You have already rated this page, you can only rate it once!