About the Section
The section runs R&D contracts with Industry for the development of ground & user technologies and products. Applications can be in the domains of satellite navigation (GNSS), Earth Observation, and any other user segment.
Ground & User Segment Market in Space Applications:
- Yearly revenues worldwide >$100B
- Time-to-market: typically 6 to 24 months
- More than 800 companies present in ESA States, mostly SME
We support Industrial competitiveness in ESA Participating States:
- Competences: create sustainable jobs / competences
- Sustainability: create revenue generating products and business
- Innovation: develop state of the art technology
The GSTP: Make programme supports commercial ground & user segment design, development and demonstration activities, for which Industry defines the work to be performed and the technical performances to be achieved. Contracts are awarded on the basis of proposals made by Industry to develop products aligned with their own product and technology roadmap plans. Products and technologies are defined to be any hardware, software, or systems.
The main characteristics of GSTP: Make are:
- Support the introduction of new technologies and techniques up to TRL 5
- Develop new products or enhance existing products up to TRL 6 or 7
- Co-fund up to 50/75/100% depending on risk and type of organization. Special support for SME’s who are entitled to up to 75% for all TRLs.
- ESA provides:
- Technical expertise and access to labs
- Commercial know-how
- Wide view of the market in 30+ countries
- Networking within industrial community
Outline Proposal Development Toolkit
Industry can submit GSTP: Make Outline Proposals to ESA at any time, provided that they have obtained a letter of support from their Delegates for the activity. The Outline Proposal contains the business case of the product, as well as a development plan.
An Outline Proposal Development Toolkit for GSTP is freely accessible online to help companies writing their proposal: http://gstp.esa.int/index.php