What we do
The section’s technical expertise is system engineering of satellite-based telecommunication links. More specifically the section is responsible for the development of advanced Telecommunication systems, techniques and technologies for broadband, broadcast and mobile satcom applications as well as for Payload Data Transmission (PDT) communications.
The section provides technical support for the aforementioned expertise to many ESA projects and programs. Our main internal customer is however the Telecommunication and Integrated Application directorate. The section has an active and often lead role in standardisation bodies such as CCSDS, DVB, 3GPP and ETSI.
The section also provides consultancy services to industry on topics related to advanced system concepts for SATCOM.
The section laboratory includes a number of state-of-the-art operational and test equipment supporting the experimentation of advanced telecom technologies.
Areas of expertise in details: telecom systems, technologies, techniques and security
- Telecom Payload and Ground Architectures: covering the architectural design of broadcast, broadband, narrowband satellite payloads and associated ground segment, system performance assessment and optimization
- Telecom System Engineering: satellite telecom systems and sub-systems analysis design and performance analysis; engineering tools; communication test beds and software tools for laboratory and pilot satellite systems
- Telecom Signal Processing: techniques and algorithms related to (de)coding, (de)modulation, access, synchronization, medium access control.
- Telecom Networks: broadcast and broadband applications, IP networking, quality of service, network management, traffic models and performance.
- Telecom Equipment: baseband telecom equipment (e.g. modulator, demodulators, front ends...) used for fixed, mobile and broadcast satellite or hybrid satellite/terrestrial telecom systems, including also user terminals.
- Telecom Security Techniques and Technologies: techniques and technologies to secure end-to-end telecom systems.
Examples of key R&D activities
The following are high level short presentations on a selection of key technical topics for which the section has in depth knowledge.