On-Board Payload Data Processing Section
On-board payload data processing work is mainly based in TEC-EDP in the Data System Division at ESTEC. Our competences include:
- Data processor architectures
- Data acquisition chains
- High speed on-board networks
- Digital signal processing, processors and specialised devices
- Payload data storage
- Image and signal processing algorithms
- Data compression techniques
- High rate data encryption
As part of ESA’s Directorate of Technical and Quality Management, the section provides technical support in the areas of competence to all programme directorates in order to support their missions and developments. On the other side the section is responsible for initiation and execution of technology developments that may lay the foundation for future missions.
This comprises developments in analogue and digital hardware from components to subsystems and building blocks, low level software and novel signal processing techniques.
In particular the section hosts the centre of expertise for data compression algorithms, techniques and devices. It is responsible for the definition and implementation of the next generation of European signal processors for space and it has initiated the development and standardisation of SpaceWire links, nodes and networks which have become very widely used not only in nearly all European space missions but also in the US, Japan, Russia and around the world.
- Date: 14 - 18 May 2018
- Location: Los Angeles, USA
- Date: 25 - 27 October 2016
- Location: Yokohama, Japan
- Date: 22 - 26 September 2014
- Location: Athens, Greece
- Date: 19 September 2014
- Location: ESTEC, The Netherlands
- Date: 11-13 June 2013
- Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Last update: 14 November 2017