Most of the Programme activities are performed under the three elements depicted in the image below.
Element 1 “Develop”: Technology developments for future missions, ground applications and tools.
The activities performed under Element 1 are dedicated to the development of technologies, building blocks, components and test beds for projects and the economic operators, i.e. Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs), Large enterprises, industry, satellite operators, satellite providers, universities and research organisations from low TRL to qualification and covering the following themes:
- Earth Observation;
- Robotic Exploration Preparation;
- Human Spaceflight and Exploration Preparation;
- Space Transportation and Re-entry Technologies;
- Security for the citizens including Space Situational Awareness;
- Generic Technologies and Techniques, including cross-cutting technologies such as Clean Space (in particular CleanSat), Advanced Manufacturing, Design to Produce and Space Technologies for Energy;
- Preparatory activities for the e.Deorbit mission and technology developments in the relevant fields;
- Technology transfer.
Element 2 “Make”: Development of technology and products for commercial sustainability
The activities performed under Element 2 and co-funded with industry, aim at:
- strengthening worldwide competitiveness in new and existing markets;
- developing products in response to gaps in the supply chain e.g. by environmental regulations, migration to new technology and other causes.
Element 3 “Fly”: In-orbit demonstration of new technologies, preparation of future missions, small missions
The activities performed under Element 3 aim at
- implementing in orbit demonstration of technologies either as products in need of acquiring flight heritage, hosted payload or complete space missions (small spacecraft, cubesats etc.);
- conducting investigations and studies to prepare for future missions in particular breakthrough and new generation types of missions; and
- conducting ad hoc small missions.
Unless activities are specifically assigned to a dedicated component below, they will be implemented under the Element 3.