The missions listed below are operated by, or are in preparation by, teams at ESOC, the European Space Operations Centre, Darmstadt, Germany.
Current missions operated from ESOC
|Aeolus||Earth observation||(1) ESA's wind mission|
|BepiColombo||Planetary science||(1) Mercury explorer|
|Cluster II||Science||(4) Earth's magnetic environment|
|CryoSat||Earth observation||(1) ESA's ice mission|
|ExoMars/TGO||Planetary science||(1) Orbiting Mars - delivered the Schiaparelli entry, descent and landing demonstrator|
|Gaia||Science||(1) Galactic surveyor|
|Integral||Science||(1) Gamma-ray observatory|
|Mars Express||Planetary science||(1) Europe at Mars - delivered the Beagle lander|
|Sentinel 1||Earth observation||(2) Europe's Copernicus programme - Sentinel-1A, 1B (radar)|
|Sentinel 2||Earth observation||(2) Europe's Copernicus programme - Sentinel-2A, 2B (optical)|
|Sentinel 5P||Earth observation||(1) Europe's Copernicus programme - Sentinel-5 Precursor (atmosphere)|
|Solar Orbiter||Science||(1) Expanding our knowledge of solar physics|
|Swarm||Earth observation||(3) Geomagnetic surveyor|
|XMM||Science||(1) X-ray observatory|
- The number in parentheses refers to the number of satellites in the mission.
- OPS-SAT, a flying testbed to demonstrate advanced operational software, was launched in December 2019 and is presently undergoing commissioning.
- The Proba missions (Proba-1, Proba-2 and Proba-V) are controlled by ESA's Operations team from Redu Centre.
(1) Europe's open-platform, flying test-bed satellite
Future missions in preparation at ESOC
|Biomass||Earth observation||Measuring forest biomass|
|EarthCARE||Earth observation||ESA's cloud, aerosol and radiation mission|
|Euclid||Science||Mapping the dark universe|
|ExoMars RSP||Planetary science||ExoMars rover and surface science platform|
|Flex||Earth observation||Fluorescence Explorer to map vegetation fluorescence & quantify photosynthetic activity|
|Juice||Planetary science||Exploring the Jupiter system|
|Plato||Science||Discover extrasolar planetary systems and terrestrial planets|
|Sentinels/Copernicus||Earth observation||Europe's Copernicus programme - Sentinel-6A and -6B|
Note: Some Sentinel missions will be operated in the routine phase from ESOC, while some will be handed over to Eumetsat.
ESA missions operated elsewhere
These missions are operated with the support of ESA's Operations team at locations other than ESOC:
- Proba-1 - Operated from Redu Centre, Belgium
- Proba-2 - Operated from Redu Centre, Belgium
- Proba-V - Operated from Redu Centre, Belgium
- SMOS - ESA's Operations team is responsible for SMOS payload operations from ESA's ESAC Establishment; the mission is operated on behalf of ESA by the French space agency (CNES) from Toulouse
ESA cooperative missions operated elsewhere
|ISS - International Space Station||Orbiting science lab||NASA (USA) / Roscosmos (Russia)|
|SOHO||Solar observations||NASA (USA)|
|Hubble Space Telescope||Orbiting observatory||NASA (USA)|